Entry # 0051 Lady Esther Ford
Lady Esther Ford formerly of the Philadelphia and Bucks County area, began her musical career at age five. She was billed as the “Child Wonder Gospel Singer”, and toured with her late grandfather Rev. Edgar Haywood on the many southern Maryland revivals. In 1957, Ford sent her musician to the Caravans and joined the Ward Singers of Philadelphia. After resigning from the Ward Singers in 1958, she formed the “Stars of Faith”. Upon resigning form the group, she organized her theater company, writing and directing several plays. In 1964, she recorded her new group, “The Exodus Singers”, who were the first integrated female gospel group ever to record in America. In the 70’s she organized the Esther Ford Christian Youth Movement in Bucks County, and was honored in 2009 at Notre Dame College in Baltimore for her 70+ years of contribution to gospel music. Lady Ford was honored at Calvary Baptist Church in west Philadelphia in 2010 for her dedicated contributions to preserving vintage gospel music. She also received citations from the PA State Senate, PA House of Representatives, the City of Philadelphia, and Calvary Baptist Church.